Thursday, February 15, 2024

014: Battle Report of Chaotic Chaos (Beastmen vs. Warriors of Chaos - 2000 Points - Flank Attack)

Warning! 

I am using some proxies for this game while things are finishing being printed. If that offends you, check back next time. Same for if you can't stand non-painted armies. You were warned.


Back from my business travels and aiming to play a lot of games this week, I started with a rematch between myself and Dan, bringing his Warriors of Chaos. This time we amped up to 2000 Points as the game just plays much better at that level, at 1500 expensive Lords are that much more powerful and run everything over. I wanted to test out a few things I haven't tried, so let's look at lists:

 

Beastmen

Beastlord (General) w/ Shield, Heavy Armor, Horn of the First Beast, Bedazzling Helm, Slug-skin

Great Bray-Shaman (Elementalism) w/ Lore Familiar, Lvl 4

Wargor w/ Shield, Heavy Armor, Gnarled Hide, BSB, Talisman of Protection

32 Gors w/ AHW, Standard, Champion

32 Gors w/ AHW, Standard, Champion

10 Ungors w/ Short Bows

10 Ungors w/ Short Bows

10 Ungors w/ Short Bows

2 Razorgor Herds

2 Razorgor Herds

2 Razorgor Herds

3 Dragon Ogres w/ Heavy Armor, Great Weapons

3 Dragon Ogres w/ Heavy Armor, Great Weapons

5 Harpies

5 Harpies


Warriors of Chaos

Chaos Lord (General) w/ Shield, Favor of the Gods x2, Demonic Mount, Enchanting Aura, Ogre Blade

Sorcerer Lord (Demonology) w/ Lvl 4, Spell Familiar, Favor of the Gods

20 Chaos Marauders w/ Flails, Mark of Khorne, Standard, Champion

10 Marauder Horsemen w/ Flails, Javelins, Shields, Light Armor, Full Command

5 Chaos Knights w/ Mark of Slaanesh, Lances, Shields, Standard, Champion

Chaos Chariot

5 Chosen Chaos Knights w/ Lances, Shields, Full Plate, Standard, Champion

17 Chosen Chaos Warriors w/ Shields, Full Plate, Standard, Champion

Chaos Giant w/ Scaly Skin


Setup and Deployment

We rolled Flank Attack for our Scenario, which I haven't played yet but is one of the more interesting offerings. To setup Terrain I won the roll and placed both Forests as well as the medium Building (Impassable). Dan placed the larger Building (Impassable), the Hill, and the smaller Building (Impassable). All Forests were played as just Difficult Terrain, not Dangerous.

For Spells I chose, via my Lore Familiar: Plague of Rust, Wind Blast, Travel Mystical Pathway, and Storm Call. Dan got 5 Spells: Demonic Vessel, Gathering Darkness, Demonic Vigor, Demonic Familiars, and Blue Fire of Tzeentch.

Winning the roll for Deployment after we noted down our flanking units, Dan chose the side without the Forest in the middle of everything and fearlessly dropped the Chaos Chosen. Marching order then went:

  • Gor Herd
  • Chaos Knights
  • Gor Herd
  • Chosen Chaos Knights
  • Ungor Herd
  • Chariot
  • Ungor Herd
  • Marauders
  • Ungor Herd
  • Giant
  • Characters (Beastlord and BSB in the left Gors, Shaman solo)
  • Characters (Chaos Lord in the Chaos Knights, Sorcerer in the Chosen Chaos Warriors)

Moving to our flankers, I put a unit of Dragon Ogres and Razorgors on each flank, and an additional duo of pigs on the left. Dan only put the Marauder Horsemen on my left. Finally my Harpies went down, a bit back as the Marauder Horsemen deployed as Skirmishers and there's lots of other Cavalry around. Winning the roll for First Turn, I ultimately decided to take it. Away we go!
 







Beastmen Turn 1

Not having much to do, my hope was to control the two units of Chaos Knights as best I could. My only unit that can match their threat range is the Razorgors, but the Chosen Knights have Counter-Charge, so I was going to have to be a bit cagey. I rolled for Gaze of the Gods and got +1 Attack on the BSB, and +1 Strength/Leadership on the Beastlord, a good start!

Most everything pushed forward, although my left Dragon Ogres and one of the pig duos was blocked in a bit by Ungors. I was trying to unbox my army a bit as I have a lot of units, probably too many, and wanted to see if Dan would try and re-deploy before I committed to anything too heavily. In Shooting I tried to cast Wind Blast on the Giant but failed to get it off.



Warriors of Chaos Turn 1

Dan rolled his Gaze of the Gods, getting Initiative on the Chaos Lord and +1 Attack on the Sorcerer, after re-rolling a 1. Not sensing any Charges, he declined to throw out any Spells and went to Movement.

The Marauder Horsemen did move away from the flank, hiding behind the Chosen Chaos Knights on my left (the unit with less black primed models and no Character). The rest pushed forward, very careful to be out of my Charge range but also keeping some units boxed in, such as the Chaos Marauders. Blue Fire of Tzeentch was cast, killing 2 Gors from my Beastlord's unit. That concluded a speedy start to the game.




Beastmen Turn 2

Knowing I won't have any Charges, I need a way to de-fang the Knights a bit or the bulk of the fights are going to be in Dan's favor to start the game. I rolled Gaze of the Gods again, getting Toughness on the Beastlord and yet another Attack on the BSB. Having no Spells, I went to Movement.

Without Charges, I needed to force the issue a bit. To that end, both units of Harpies flew and landed in front of the Knights, with a lead model so that I could control their angle of approach. On the right, I positioned the Razorgors to take the likely Overrun, keeping the Dragon Ogres just a bit back so they could hopefully Charge and land in a flank, or just push past and leave the pigs to their fate. My center Gor blocks moved up, with the Shaman hiding between them.

On the left I did much the same maneuver, aiming for a flank with the Razorgors and a Charge for the Dragon Ogres, leaving the Ungors to take an Overrun. Unfortunately I was still boxed in a bit and couldn't free the other Razorgors easily, so they'd be out of the game for a bit. The remaining Ungors moved around a tad, not having much to do.



Wind Blast was Dispelled this time and my few arrows did nothing, so all I had left was to eat whatever Dan would throw at me and hope for the best.


Warriors of Chaos Turn 2

Starting with Gaze, the Chaos Lord got Initiative again and the Sorcerer got +1 Strength/Leadership. Dan tried to cast his two Enchantments on the Chosen Chaos Warriors but one failed and one was Dispelled. Gathering Darkness was cast on the lesser Gor Herd, which would likely spell their doom. We then got going with some Charges.

The Giant and Chariot declared into my character-less Gors, the Harpies were each charged by the respective Knights, the Chosen Warriors charged the other Gors, and the Marauders were forced to declare into the Harpies on the right due to Frenzy and good positioning by me. All my units Held, after passing the Terror Test for the Giant. All of Dan's forces came crashing in except the Chosen Warriors, who needed a 6.


 

Shooting was a quick affair as Blue Fire was again Dispelled, so on to fights! I picked up both the Harpies without forcing Dan to roll, no need to waste anyone's time there. The Chaos Lord and friends decided to Overrun, hitting the Razorgors exactly as I planned but also contacting the Ungors, oops. The Maruders didn't have the room to get in and only went forward a few inches anyways. The Chosen Knights were able to pass their test to Restrain and turned to prevent anyone getting their flank.

My Gor block got savaged but I did a wound to the Chariot and only FBIGO, both the Giant and Chariot followed up. The Giant only did a Headbutt or things would have been much worse. This left me feeling confident on the left and in the center, but like my center-right and right would have a hard time. I passed my various Panic Tests for the FBIGO, crucial as losing the other Gor Herd would be almost impossible to recover from.


 

Beastmen Turn 3

Once again the gods gazed, giving my BSB +1 Strength/Leadership and the same to my Beastlord! My Shaman was able to land Plague of Rust on the Chosen Warriors, I declined to try anything else.

On the left, the Dragon Ogres charged the Chosen Knights, my better Gor block charged the Chosen Warriors, and my other Dragon Ogres got in the flank of the Chaos Lord and Knights. I had to charge the Ungors into the Chosen Knights for fear that otherwise my Dragon Ogres would need too big of a wheel and fail.


In Shooting I killed (2) Marauder Horsemen with Windblast and otherwise whiffed my arrows, so it was combat time. Starting in the center, my Gors passed Primal Fury and became Frenzied, I then declared a Challenge with my BSB, which was accepted by the Chosen Champion, but we both whiffed. I still crushed the unit with my Beastlord and remaining attacks, thanks to both Plague of Rust and Dan failing 8/8 5+/6++ Saves! The Chosen were thankfully Stubborn and FBIGO behind the Marauder Horsemen, who I was forced to Overrun into.

On the left my Dragon Ogres rolled poorly (Dan and I's dice were continually weird this whole turn), only killing a single Knight. In return they killed 2 Ungor and did nothing else. I killed another Knight with Stomps but lost the combat by one. My Ungors Gave Ground, while the Dragon Ogres FBIGO, though the nearby Razorgors somehow passed their Panic Test.

On the right, things got really crazy. I knew this wasn't a great fight for me since the Chaos Lord had the Ogre Blade and would make way to the flank, but I felt I had no other options. He did just that, dealing 3 Wounds, but I saved every single one! The Knights also flubbed, killing a single Ungor and that's all.. In return I killed a Knight and did a wound to the Chaos Lord, winning by one. Dan rolled a 10 and the unit fled, being run down by the Razorgors and ending the threat of the Chaos Lord. We both stood there, astonished at what had happened. Everything had Pursued so my Ungors ended in front of the Marauders but the Dragon Ogres got a mighty 2 and stumbled forward.


In the last fight, Dan again beat my Gors down even as the Giant once again rolled Headbutt. I did 2 Wounds back to the Chariot but because of Gathering Darkness the Gors fled. The Chariot Pursued, running them down, while the Giant successfully Restrained. Unfortunately I was out of BSB range because of my forced Pursuit with the other Gors, I'd hoped this block could hold out one more Turn but it wasn't to be.




Warriors of Chaos Turn 3

Needing to pick up the pieces but with some bad positions on a few units, Dan rolled Gaze again on but only succeeded in the Sorcerer succumbing to Stupidity. Gathering Darkness tried to go on my remaining Gors but was Dispelled.

Sensing he was needed, the Giant charged the rear of my Gors and the Marauders pushed into the Ungors, who declared Stand & Shoot thanks to Quick Shot, killing 2. Lastly, the Chosen Knights again hit my Dragon Ogres, hoping to get something done this time. For what was left the Chariot just turned around and the Chosen Warriors stayed put.



Blue Fire of Tzeentch was attempted into some random Ungors but was Dispelled, so on to combat. The Chosen Knights did much better this time, dealing 5 wounds but losing two in return. As I was outside of BSB/General range the unit of course broke and fled, being run down. My Razorgors Panicked back 4" but everyone else held their nerve.

In the center I pushed my Beastlord into the Giant. Unfortunately this was illegal and did impact the game, as he was already in the fighting rank. Punishing me for my rules error, the Giant again rolled Headbutt and instantly killed the Beastlord but since we fought at the same time I did manage to wound it three times. The Marauder Horsemen were then cut down to a man with wounds to spare, forcing teh Giant to Give Ground. I chose to make the 180 degree turn, hoping the slightly longer distance might keep the Chosen Warriors out.


My Ungors lost 3 and cut down a Marauder before also fleeing (thanks to my General being dead) but the Marauders couldn't catch them, though my Shaman did Panic. This left them as a speedbump for the Dragon Ogres, possibly allowing my to crash them into the flank of the Giant as well. With that, another eventful Turn ended.



Beastmen Turn 4

Not wanting to risk Gaze anymore and with no Spells, I rallied my Shaman but failed on the Ungors, who remained on the table. Movement was short, the Dragon Ogres charged the Marauders, the Ungors on my left got in position to shoot the Chosen Knight while the Razorgors aimed to get a charge or force him to take the long way around, the other Razorgors joined the combat in the Giant's flank. Most everything else just moved around some to prepare for Turn 5.

Wind Blast was Dispelled and my arrows did nothing to the Chosen Knight or Chosen Warriors. In combat I beat the Marauders badly but was one kill off doubling their Unit Strength, so they only FBIGO, denying me an Overrun/Pursuit into the Giant. Said Giant then killed my BSB by smashing him with its club, taking a wound or two back but only Giving Ground. I forgot to take pictures this Turn since the game was moving fast, apologies.


Warriors of Chaos Turn 4

Not having much left to do, Dan tried to cast all his Enchantments but they were Dispelled. The Chosen Warriors made their charge into the Gors now Rear, and the last Chosen Knight galloped away from the Razorgors.


Combat was short and predictable. My Gors and Razorgors JUST managed to kill the Giant, who fell on the herd and killed a few. Between that and the Chosen in the rear I fled, they declined to Pursue and successfully Reformed. In a bit of an odd situation there was no way to get my Razorgors back into combat once the Giant died, so they were out of combat. Again we made a collective rules error and didn't believe the Razorgors had to make a Break Test (they do since they were on the losing side, even out of combat now) so they made an Overrun into the rear of the Marauders. Finally, the few Marauders were absolutely crushed and with two units staring each other down, the Dragon Ogres couldn't move forward.


Beastmen Turn 5

The game was largely academic at this point but we played on to finish this out. I wasn't able to kill the last Chosen Knight but sent Razorgors into the Chosen Warriors to reduce them to 50% or lower and get some Victory Points. This worked but they lost the combat, fleeing through the Dragon Ogres.

At this point we called it. I had a Shaman, two Dragon Ogres (although one badly wounded), and four Razorgors in the area. The last Chosen Knight would never be able to charge anything and would likely get cornered and die. Leaving it at that, it's a Beastmen Victory although not a Crushing one.




Post-Game

This was the worst overall I've played in a game of The Old World yet, so I have a lot to unpack here. Some of the mistakes were due to unfamiliarity with having so much MSU (previously I've run the Ungors as a single unit and never used the Razorgors, favoring easier to use Chariots). Overall I got very lucky, with the Chaos Lord and Co. dying in an unlikely turn of events that swung the game heavily my way.

Let's start with overall impressions. I really liked the Razorgors and I think I'll continue to run them, although as two units of three and not the other way around. My hope was to use them as something similar to a Chariot, combo-charging along with something else. Having seen them at work, I think they can hold their own against a lot of units and would be better off doing their own thing on the flanks or interspersed into my Gor Herds. The Horn really makes them work since otherwise their Leadership is poor and they'll fail Primal Fury.

I continue to struggle to find a Lore of Magic that I like, waffling between Demonology and Elementalism. I think I'll go back to Demonology from now on as it's just a bit easier to use. Travel Mystic Pathways is so good but it always feels like the time isn't right during play or you have to commit to a position where, if the Spell fails, that unit will probably die. Demonic Vessel is among the best Enchantments in the game but it's hard to commit a Bray-Shaman to combat compared to say, a Chaos Sorcerer. I'll continue to experiment with it.

Moving to the game, I had oscillating moments between good play and very poor play. Deployment was a bit of an issue, I stupidly didn't start with the Ungors to see where bigger ticket items from Dan were going. That committed my right-most unit of Gors to a bad fight against a Giant and Chariot, I could have Reformed them into Skirmishing but I don't think there was anywhere to go at that point. There was also some blocking issues with my Ungors, which is just sloppy positioning because they can go where they want. It was difficult to use the Ungors as I wanted (getting on the flanks and hunting the various Marauders) because of the Scenario and where I placed them.

My best moment was using the Harpies to blunt the Knights. Dan didn't have to take those charges of course, but the one on the right was still favored for him even walking into my "trap" and on the left it would be very hard to unpack the army with the Chosen Knights sticking around. There's also nothing Dan can really do about it other than wear me down with Javelins and Blue Fire (hopefully), but -2 to Hit (Skirmishers, Long Range) and 4's to wound makes that a losing idea. While you can't change the direction of a charging unit with Skirmishers (a good change to the game) you can control space and screen.

On the right flank, my win was pure luck. On average the Chaos Lord gets at least 2 wounds through, then turning them into d3 wounds, and the Chaos Knights should have killed more Ungors for Combat Resolution. My idea for a counter-charge was good but I needed to play the range a bit better and not just surrendering the Pursuit into the Razorgors. If anything, the two units should have swapped since the Razorgors do Impact Hits and the Dragon Ogres are slow, but I was partially stuck via Deployment and the Forest. Right idea, wrong execution, bailed out by dice.

I'm glad my rules error with the Beastlord and fighting rank went against me, normally I'd easily chop the Giant down (because I got pumped to Strength 7) as it kills Gors, or needs a 6 to Hit with the club, and that would have heavily tainted the game. Moving it, even as I thought I could, may have been a mistake because it would give the Chosen Warriors pause, and then if they didn't charge I could have legally moved the model.

Yet other mistakes were not declaring a Flee from the Chariot/Giant, and expecting it to happen. I'm still adjusting to just how insanely powerful Flee is in TOW: a great tactic is to have a unit behind your front line, Flee from a charge that's not going to get them caught (thanks to bouncing through your own unit), and then get a charge of your own. This makes high Leadership, cheap armies very powerful because they have more units to perform this with, elite armies struggle to find the points. As people get better and better at the game I expect Flee, counter-Flee, and so on to become very standard. Getting charged is just devastating for most units, very few can actually take whatever the opponent dishes out at them.

All of that probably tells the tale of the game. If I were to do things over I'd deploy two of the Ungor units on the flanks, along with the Razorgors, and keep the Dragon Ogres behind my Gors, staggered, to setup Flees as needed. I also could have taken Earthern Wards and cast that the Dragon Ogres and simply tried to tank the Chosen Knights charge or force my own, on average I only lose about 3 Wounds and then I could have punched back in my Turn.

I really enjoy games like this where looking back I beat myself up for so many mistakes, because I'm much less likely to make them again. Hopefully some of this was illuminating to you, the reader, and will help you think about how certain specific movements can impact your games. And yes, my 3D prints are done tomorrow and the attachment for my airbrush comes, I'm working on the models.

No comments:

Post a Comment