Saturday, February 3, 2024

011: Running It Back at 1500 (Beastmen vs. Orcs & Goblins | 1500 Points | Pitched Battle)

Danger! Unpainted Models Below!

This weekend I sponsored a Hobby Event for the Campaign I'm running, this was intended to be a meet and greet while allowing people to get some games in. The event ended up being a big success with ~13 people (I lost count!) showing up and many of them staying to assemble their models or grab a match. Since I didn't feel like assembling, I grabbed a game with Matt, someone I've played several times before. Matt loves his Goblins so I expected to see a horde across from me. Originally we'd planned on a 2000 Point game, but I still have some models being printed and didn't want to proxy, so we instead settled on 1500 after some list re-working on the fly.


Beastmen

Wargor w/ Shield, HA, BSB, Gnarled Hide

Gorebull w/ Berserker Blade, Armor of Meteoric Iron

Great Bray-Shaman w/ Lvl 4 (Elementalism)

30 Gors w/ AHW, Standard, Champion w/ GW

30 Gors w/ AHW, Standard, Champion w/ GW

Tuskgor Chariot

Tuskgor Chariot

5 Harpies

3 Dragon Ogres w/ HA, GWs

3 Dragon Ogres w/ HA, GWs

This is very similar to the list I took against Warriors of Chaos, but I swapped the Minotaurs for a single Gore-Bull. What I wanted to try this game was being able to give a unit of Gors Frenzy, on demand, via the Berserker Blade and Slaughterer's Call rule. If it works out I'll likely give it a go in my 2000 Point list with a mighty Doombull.


Orcs & Goblins

Night Goblin Bigboss w/ GW, LA, BSB, The Big Red Raggedy Flag

Night Goblin Warboss (General) w/ LA, Enchanted Shield, Trollhide Trousers, Da Choppiest Choppa

Night Goblin Oddnob w/ Lvl 4 (Waaagh! Magic)

40 Night Goblins w/ Spears, Full Command, 2 Fanatics

40 Night Goblins w/ Spears, Full Command, 2 Fanatics

10 Night Goblin Squig Herd w/ 2 Herders

10 Night Goblin Squig Hopper Mob w/ Cavalry Spears

Giant

Mangler Squigs


Setup & Deployment

We decided to keep things simple and just play Pitched Battle, nothing fancy. I setup the table using Terrain that Matt brought, putting a Hill in what ended up being my right corner, a water feature in my center, and a Forest to my right. There was then another two Forests in the far-right and center, as well as another water feature on the far left. We played all the Forests as just Difficult Terrain, nothing Dangerous. For Spells I got Summon Elemental Spirit, Wind Blast, Travel Mystical Pathway, and traded Flaming Sword for Storm Call. Matt got Vindictive Glare, Bad Moon Rizin', Foot of Gork, and traded for Itchy Nuisance.

Winning the Pre-Game roll, I stayed where I was since the Forests would slow down Matt's massively wide units more than my own. I had Matt drop his units first since I valued the information on where everything was going rather than the +1 for First Turn, since I wouldn't be getting shot up. To start, Matt dropped one of the Night Goblin blocks in the gap between two Forests. I replied with a unit of Gors since these are my ideal blender for dealing with light Infantry. Matt then placed the other block and I did the same, setting up an Infantry fight in the center.

Moving on, the Squig Herd went down behind a Forest and I placed a Chariot just left of center. Goblin threats continued building out to my left, with the Mangler Squig and Squig Hoppers, I replied with my Dragon Ogres but reasoned they could handle that side and placed another Chariot on the right. Finally, the Giant went down behind a Forest to my right and the various Characters joined units, the Bigboss and Warboss splitting and the Shaman on its own. My last Dragon Ogres went on the right, my BSB joined the center Gors, and my Shaman/Gorebull went just to their right. Lastly, I dropped my Harpies in a non-committal location, not having a great role for them. Matt crushed the roll for Turn Order and opted to go first, so away we went.





Orcs & Goblins Turn 1

Not having any Enchantments or Hexes to cast for now, the Goblins went directly into Movement. Both the Mangler Squigs and Squig Hoppers moved up, the Hoppers going a bit further. Matt Marched the Night Goblins up full, the one to my right going through the Forest and slowing down a bit, with the Giant coming along. Finally the Oddnob and Squig Herd entered the center Forest, content to take things slowly.

The Oddnob declined to try Vindictive Gaze against my Harpies but did attempt Foot of Gork, which was Dispelled. As once again neither army has any Shooting, the Turn passed to me.





Beastmen Turn 1

Similarly declining Spells and with Matt not wanting to release any Fanatics just yet, I also went to Movement. After some consideration I put the Harpies into the Squig Herd, although I knew this wasn't a good Charge. There's not a lot for my Harpies to do this game: they can't block the Squig Hoppers/Mangler Squigs because I'm only allowed to Hold against them and Enemy Sighted isn't very valuable against what Matt has. I could have saved the Harpies for hunting down the Oddnob but there's numerous ways for Matt to avoid that, and if I went in right now the Squig Herd would counter-attack thanks to being Skirmishers.


My remaining movement was spent pushing forward fairly aggressively. I kept the Night Goblins at a comfortable distance while hanging back with my Chariots to either counter-charge or wait for an opportunity. My Dragon Ogres stayed about 12" from the Squig Hoppers, I can take their Charge but I'd rather not if I don't have to. My Gorebull also joined the same Gor unit as my BSB, concentrating my hitting power there. I'd kept that unit just slightly back of the threshold of the water feature, hoping if any Fanatics came out they'd hit that and die.

In Shooting Summon Elemental Spirits was dispelled but I resolved Wind Blast, killing 3 Night Goblins from the BSB's unit and forcing them to Give Ground. I'd have preferred to target the Squig Hoppers but I was too far away to reposition effectively. With that we went to Combat where I killed 2 Squigs but lost all my Harpies in return. The Herd Overran forward, giving them a Charge on my Gors, although I was fine with that as that fight would heavily favor me.



Orcs & Goblins Turn 2

Fanatic time! Both were released from the Night Goblins to my left, while Matt held the others back. With some Charges coming my way, Matt tried to cast Itchy Nuisance on my left Gors but I stopped it. He also tried Bad Moon Rizin' but was either Dispelled or failed to cast, I forget. 

With nothing else he went to Movement where the Squig Herd declared a Charge on my weaker Gor unit, they opted to Hold. The Charge was easily made and in the mushrooms went.

In Compulsory Movement my cagey positioning paid off as the Squig Hoppers ended up a few inches short of my Dragon Ogres and the Mangler Squigs moved up in support. This presented an amazing Charge for me in my Turn, I just needed to get through this one. Both Fanatics went ~6" forward, not enough to even hit the Terrain, but far enough to be an obstacle to my own Charge.


With remaining moves the Night Goblin blocks moved up again, one daring my Gors to commit while the other lined up across from my Chariot and Dragon Ogres, a Giant in tow. The Oddnob hung back wisely and threw out a few more Spells. Vindictive Gaze resolved but I passed the Ward Save on the Dragon Ogres, while Foot of Gork was dropped right in my Charge path and with a number of excellent scatters, possibly even onto my Wizard!



Combat was largely inconclusive: I lost 5 Gors but killed a Squig with my Champion, winning thanks to Ranks and my Standard. The Squigs Gave Ground but my Gors were able to Restrain, giving me the Initiative edge next time around.



Beastmen Turn 2

I knew this would be an extremely important Turn with a lot of combat, although I didn't have much Magic to aid me. The Foot of Gork moved, taking the ONLY path where it wouldn't hit either of our units, and then was promptly Dispelled. I declined to cast Storm Call, since it wouldn't make much difference anymore, and started firing off Charges.


Everything that could go in, did go in. On the left my Dragon Ogres and Chariot combo-charged the Squig Hoppers, this gave me an excellent change to Overrun/Pursue into the Mangler Squigs and put an end to the hittier units that Matt brought. My Gors went back into the fray with the Squig Herd, confident in that fight and hopefully setting me up for a Flank Charge on the Night Goblins in the future. Continuing on the big Gor block went through the Fanatics, losing 5 models, but forcing them out the back and near the water. Lastly, I had another combo-charge from the Chariot and Dragon Ogres on my right into the Night Goblins with the BSB.



Otherwise my Shaman moved around a bit, not having much to do with his offensive Spells. One Fanatic drowned in the water while the other went left, hitting nothing but getting into an annoying position. I dropped Summon Elemental Spirits in front of the Giant, it's not good odds but if it stays and isn't Dispelled it would block his Charge. If it moves, maybe I kill a few Goblins. I could have Wind Blasted him first but d3+3 S5 Hits into T6 didn't strike me as amazing, I should have still tried though. In hindsight, if I'd hit the Giant with my Hex and Wind Blast, it might have made his Charge difficult.

Starting on the left, the Squig Hoppers were badly outclassed and killed to a man (squig?) allowing my Dragon Ogres to plow into the Mangler Squig. Meanwhile, my Chariot was able to Restrain and turned to face new opportunities, as well as the remaining Fanatic. Similarly easy was my Gors beating down the last of the Squig Herd, partially thanks to becoming Frenzied via Primal Fury. They Overran forward, setting up the Flank Charge I'd hoped for.


In the bigger fights, my Gors brutalized the Night Goblins while the Gorebull issued a Challenge, being met by the Night Goblin Champion. He was promptly turned into some Overkill even though my dice were poor. Matt managed to kill 2 Gors back thanks to his Warboss, all in all things would have been much worse if it weren't for the Netters. Having won combat by 10+, the Night Goblins Fall Back in Good Order (FBIGO), my successful Pursuit meant I'd be able to keep the Initiative advantage here and hopefully do some real damage.

Nearby, the other Night Goblins fared no better and lost an eye-watering 16 models after Impact Hits, Stomps and all the rest. My Chariot did suffer a Wound, and a Dragon Ogre lost two thanks to the BSB's Great Weapon, but the cause was dire. The Night Goblins FBIGO 3", exactly enough to give me Initiative and more Impact Hits! This would also allow the Giant LoS to my Dragon Ogres, I didn't think the Vortex was up to the task anyways.




Orcs & Goblins Turn 3

Being up against the ropes a bit, the Oddnob tried to throw out his various Hexes but was Dispelled by my Shaman each time. Out of spite, my Vortex was also Dispelled. Matt had opted against releasing his last Fanatics because they could only go in the rear of his unit which wasn't ideal (one flank is too close, one is in a Forest, and the front is full).

As expected, the Giant stumbled into the flank of my Dragon Ogres. This was worrisome but I'd already badly mangled the Night Goblins and felt confident I could keep the pressure up. Next, the remaining Fanatic whirled through my Chariot on the left, inflicting 3 Wounds but mercifully not killing it. I was hopeful I could get my remaining units away from it in my Turn. Finally, the Oddnob backed up a bit and got out of the way should the Night Goblins fall back again.



Vindictive Glare was aimed at my Gors but Dispelled, then we went to melee. As expected, the Dragon Ogres smashed the Mangler Squig aside but failed to Restrain, Overrunning forward and putting themselves out of the game for a few Turns.

In the mass-combat I put everything into the Night Goblins, reducing the unit to a mere 12 models. In return I lost a Dragon Ogre as the Giant jumped up and down on them (HOW?!) but the Goblins FBIGO once again. I was unable to Pursue with the Dragon Ogres, who instead made a 90 degree turn and faced the Giant as he Gave Ground. My Chariot Restrained, hoping to inflict yet more Impact Hits in whichever combat I needed instead of committing to the same one, alone.


Not content with the corpse of the Champion, my Gorebull pointed to the Warboss who gallantly met the Challenge. I was able to put 2 Wounds on the General, taking none in return, even in spite of the Netters. Once again the Gors tore in, killing 9 Night Goblins for 2 of their own and the unit FBIGO as I once again Pursued successfully. To make matters worse, the Oddnob Panicked, being just outside of the BSB's Command Range.




Beastmen Turn 3

Matt released the remaining Fanatics, aiming one at my Chariot and one at the Dragon Ogres. With no Spells, I also declined the Chariot Charge since it would take me into the Fanatic, in hindsight I should have since it was going to him me anyways. Said Fanatics then moved, with one hitting my Chariot on the left again and shattering it, one dealing 2 Wounds to the other Chariot (leaving it with 1) and the third dealing 3 Wounds to my Dragon Ogres. Ow!


During Shooting my Vortex was Dispelled as was Wind Blast so hopefully combat would be better. The Giant gave my Dragon Ogres a Scottish Hello (headbutt), killing one, but I answered with 2 Wounds and it Gave Ground. This allowed me to finally pass a Restrain Test and turn to face the Night Goblins once again. Following Up wouldn't do anything for me and even though the Giant would just Charge again I could at least force the Night Goblins to contact both my models if they came in again.

In the other fight the Netters tried their best but my Gors went to work again, reducing the Night Goblins to less than a single rank. The ongoing Challenge proved inconclusive as we both whiffed our rolls, but the damage was done. FBIGO turned to a Flee because of my outnumbering. I equaled the distance and cut down the unit where they stood, Reforming to face the Rear Arc of the remaining Night Goblins.

At this point Matt conceded the game. While he still had the Giant, there was only a few Night Goblins left along with the Shaman who would soon be caught between my Dragon Ogres and Gors. The Victory Point margin was too much to overcome, so we ended there with a Beastmen victory.



Post-Game

Unfortunately this match was a bit of a rout, but the reasons why it ended up that way are worth talking about, to me. Discussing the game afterwards, Matt and I agreed on a few key points:

Deployment

Matt's Deployment had separated his Anvils from his Hammers, putting most of the Squigs to my left and the Night Goblin blocks to my right. This left them unable to support each other, especially after Turn 1 as they diverged around the Forest. Another pain point was that all the obvious fights were then in my favor, both in terms of hitting power and threat range. That's a hard hill to climb and led to the many one-sided combats with poor conclusions for the greenskins.

Ranged Threat

While Matt's army had plenty of hitting power, it had no ranged element to either soften my Dragon Ogres or force me into contentious Charges. Because I had no shooting to worry about I could line up the Charges to my advantage, in terms of necessary distances, and then snowball that into continually winning fights and maintaining higher Initiative.

Fanatic Use

Not releasing all the Fanatics at once is often much more powerful than letting them loose, but in this case that would have helped. My Gors took a lot of damage to make their Charge but the Dragon Ogres and Chariot were unmolested. Had they even taken some damage, it's likely I'd lose models earlier on and slow down the pace of my onslaught into the Night Goblins. When the other Fanatics were finally out it was too late and their parent unit had already been cut in half.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my opinion all of the above are just choices, not forehead slapping mistakes. I can envision a few ways that this same Deployment could have been used to give my Dragon Ogres a slog and threaten to gum up my army in the center. Sending the Squig Hoppers in was what led to the left flanks undoing, even being charged I think the Dragon Ogres win that fight handsomely. Not having a Ranged Threat was fine, it's not as though the goblins lacked hitting power on the table, it just happened that those Hammers were a poor match for what I brought in my army.

For the Fanatics, there are quite a few outcomes where they could have been released into the flank and through my Gors, they just didn't materialize. I don't think using Fanatics defensively is very intuitive, it's extremely powerful, but they never worked quite the same way previously as in TOW. Over time I think Fanatics are going to become a complete menace, particularly for more elite armies who don't have 25+ Infantry to throw through the ball and chain.

On my side, I played another poor game with my Harpies. My best option was to push them to the back, away from the Squigs, on Turn 1 and then go after the Oddnob. I would have loved to use them to Flee something but without Impetuous/Frenzy that's an easy trap to ignore. My positioning with the Shaman was often sloppy, allowing him to be in the path of a Fanatic later on and sometimes leaving me without targets for Spells.

Once again, Magic didn't feel like a big part of the game for me. Matt got a fair few Spells of his own off but the Hexes failed him when it mattered, even my successful casts felt unimpactful. I'm finding most Magical Vortexes to feel like they don't do much, you need a good scatter if it goes off and then they're easy to Dispel. Elementalism still feels good for Beastmen though, most games Plague of Rust and Earthen Ramparts are amazing. I didn't have a good opportunity to use Travel Mystic Pathway, because of where my Shaman was, but it would have been extremely useful for turning those leftmost Dragon Ogres right back into the game.

Overall I feel like this game was an excellent representation of Deployment playing out over the course of a game, as well as the way that TOW incentivizes pairing Hammers and Anvils more closely than in Editions past. The relationship between the two roles is very symbiotic now, whereas in years past Hammers were more able to do everything on their own and Anvils sometimes were left cheering them on. I'm glad that new tactics and less brute force are being rewarded in this version of Warhammer, it'll make for interesting games to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment